QUARANTINE Reads

During the Covid-19 pandemic the library staff are all busying themselves at home with supporting all of our users, but without our collective hours of commute we are also finding more time to read.

We have decided to let you know what we have been getting our noses into in the hope to encourage you to recommend and share your books to all those at the University. We want to work together to build a healthy #readingcommunity to get us through this difficult time. Reading does wonders for your wellbeing and whether you are just getting into reading or have bookcases full of novels I am sure there will be something here for you to discover.

If you have any good books that you would like to share throughout the lockdown period we would love to hear from you. Email library@le.ac.uk with a short review and photograph of the book/yourself with the book/your cat reading the book/or whatever you like and we will post it here and on social media! Reviews can be as long or as short as you would like and you can recommend whatever you are reading, books, poetry, graphic novels, magazines it really doesn’t matter! Do get it touch and help us get other people inspired!

Name: Andrew Dunn
Course/Role: Academic Librarian
Quarantine ReadA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Why and What do you think?: A friend gave me this book as she said it was appropriate reading for lock-down/confinement.  The book tells the story of a Russian aristocrat who is placed under house arrest in 1922 by the Soviet authorities.  Fortunately for the count (and us) his ‘house’ is the Metropol Hotel in the centre of Moscow, so he is able to wander round, have adventures with hotel guests and watch history being played out though the window.  Told with such warmth and wit the book is as uplifting a story as you will ever read and the ending is a treat!

Andrew with A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Name: Elizabeth Blood
Course/Role: University History Research Associate
Quarantine ReadEating People is Wrong by Malcolm Bradbury
Why and What do you think?: Malcolm Bradbury was an English BA student at the University of Leicester in 1950-53 (when it was “University College Leicester”), and he began writing this book when he was 18. As it’s my job to research the University’s history, I wanted to see how Bradbury had portrayed life in the English department of a provincial University College that was so strongly modelled on Leicester. You’ll perhaps recognise Leicester in its descriptions: established by Victorian worthies and wealthy businessmen, in a building that was formerly a lunatic asylum, on “Institution Road,” etc…. A word of warning: there are some shades of 1950s sexism and racism, to modern readers’ eyes; and rather a sad ending. A quick and witty read, though, with the odd laugh-out-loud moment and some very unforgettable characters: it’s a must.

Elizabeth Blood with Eating People is Wrong by Malcolm Bradbury

Name: Hannah Congrave
Course/Role: David Wilson Library Assistant Manager
Quarantine Read: Mankind: Have a Nice Day & The Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley
Why and What do you think?: When the pandemic began to escalate in the UK I decided to do two things, first to buy myself a PlayStation 4 Pro along with too many games to get through in the next year, and secondly to renew my subscription to the World Wrestling Entertainment streaming service WWE Network. I was born in 1988 and started to regularly watch what was then known as the WWF, with five friends from my primary school. I was absolutely captivated by it, the storylines, the characters and the action. We loved to make our own signs on the back of cereal boxes, hold them up, cheer for our favourites and boo the baddies when it came to the monthly pay-per-views. 2020 has been an exceptionally trying time and my nostalgia to capture the care-free sentiment of being a child wrapped up entirely in the dramatic comedy fiction of the WWE is overwhelming.

Along with revisiting PPVs from 1997 onward I picked up my copy of Mankind: Have a Nice Day & The Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley to help distract myself from the current stress of the here and now. To anyone who knows anything about professional wrestling you will have heard of Mick Foley, if you haven’t you will have heard of Dwayne The Rock Johnson but then, who hasn’t? Mick Foley was one of the key daredevils of professional wrestling, headlining at a very similar time period as The Rock, a time that is known as the Attitude Era. Mick Foley was always ever too willing to put his body through the most torturous physical extremes to entertain the thousands of WWE followers across the world. He was famously speared through a table that was alight with lighter fluid flames, had his ear ripped off during a match, choke slammed through the top of a steel cage by the Undertaker (which was unintentional by the way), thrown off the top of a 22 foot steel cage resulting in him losing a tooth which ended up in his nose, and more recently he retrieved a rusted drawing pin out of his head that had been implanted there for approximately 15 years.

I know we all have different tastes, and I have grown up with watching this kind of ridiculous behaviour and been enraptured and amused by it for decades. Wrestling has changed a lot and the extreme levels of blood and physical trauma have passed in regards to the mainstream. The ‘violence’ is pretend, the athleticism and physical capabilities of the wrestlers is not, you can take from it whatever you choose to see in it and there is so much to enjoy outside of the preconceived ideas that many people have about what wrestling is. Foley’s third book delves into the backstage drama, insider scoops for big fans, and his own personal history in relation to the sport and fame that contribute to the existence of professional wrestling. I think if you had no interest in wrestling you could still find something to enjoy from this book. If it doesn’t, then perhaps this recommendation will instead inspire you to recall past infatuations that may bring about a carefree nature that has been forgotten in these more troubling times. 

In days where you could attend live shows and gigs I saw Mick Foley’s comedy tour Tales from Wrestling Past. I got to meet him and have him sign the copy of my book, I managed to not say anything stupid and he didn’t DDT me or set on me with Mr. Socko!

If you want to learn anymore about the world of professional wrestling I would recommend reading the following books and if you are really intrigued the WWE Network offers a free month’s trial, for any specific match or PPV recommendations please email library@le.ac.uk and direct your query to Declan Guiney.

Hannah with Mankind: Have a Nice Day & The Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley

Name: Emma
Course/Role: Library Advisor, David Wilson Library
Quarantine ReadWild. A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed
Why and What do you think?: Wild is an account of Cheryl Strayed’s attempt to trek part of the Pacific Crest Trail in the mid-1990s, a 2,650-mile-long route running from Mexico to Canada, which passes through California, Oregon and Washington.

After the sudden death of her mother, Cheryl’s life begins to fall apart and after seeing a guidebook for the Trail whilst queueing in a shop, Cheryl makes the bold decision to trek part of the Trail (over 1,000 miles!), despite having no experience of long-distance trekking. As the book unfolds, the reader not only experiences the beauty and hardship of the Trail, but also witnesses Cheryl’s journey of dealing with her grief and how the Trail might just save her.

I didn’t always find Cheryl the easiest character to connect to at times, and winced at the frequent loss of toenails throughout, but the book is a raw, honest account of someone trying to get their life back on track in an extraordinary way.

In 2014 the book was turned into a film starring Reece Witherspoon as Cheryl, so it will be interesting to compare the two when I get a chance to watch it and I am also looking forward to getting my own boots and rucksack back on, although for a much shorter hike!!

Emma is reading Wild. A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed

Name: Catherine Vout
Course/Role: Administrative Assistant
Quarantine ReadDoctor Who by various authors
Why and What do you think?: I am enjoying revisiting the David Tennant days of Dr Who (affectionately referred to as Dr Dave … by me anyway) via BBC iPlayer and in novel format.  I started reading these books when I was unwilling to leave behind his companion, Rose.  I have read a couple of books based on other incarnations of the Doctor and I find they do capture the particular spirit brought by each actor – or maybe I apply that myself.  Either way, they seem to work.  I recommend them to anyone wanting to return to the Whoniverse (come on, I know it’s not just me…)

Catherine’s mega Who collection

Name: Jo Aitkins
Course/Role: Associate Director of User Services
Quarantine Read: American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
Why and What do you think?: So what is one librarian’s cat recommending as a great read? It is American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. It tells the story of Lydia and her eight year old son fleeing the Mexican cartel that massacred their family and their journey from Acapulco and hopefully onto Denver, Colorado. As fugitives from danger, they follow the trail of those seeking to enter the USA illegally.  This takes them through experiences of leaping onto trains, being detained, subject to violence and extortion, culminating in a vivid account of taking a huge leap of faith and desperation and following a “human coyote” into the dessert. Although starting as a thriller, it really is about the migrant experience which is really well captured. The author herself spent four years researching and wanted to present a migrants story as a way to honour all the stories we never hear.

For those who prefer to listen an abridged version is also available on bob (box of Broadcasts) as serialised by BBC Radio 4.

Jo’s cat reading American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

Name: Kiera Procter
Course/Role: Book Club President, English final year
Quarantine ReadArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Why and What do you think?: I read this series years ago and I’m rereading it at the minute because it’s fun, hilarious and light-hearted. Artemis starts the series as a criminal mastermind willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants – even kidnapping a fairy! – and his development is incredible. As the series goes on the stakes get higher but the characters maintain the humour and sarcasm that becomes a trademark of the books. It’s similar to Percy Jackson so if you like that you’ll love this! I love children’s books, especially at the minute because they’re fun and easy to read and keep my mind distracted by all sorts of wild adventures.

Kiera Procter with her extensive Artemis Fowl collection. This would certainly keep you busy during lockdown!

Name: Jemma Lidgard
Course/Role:
Library Advisor
Quarantine Read:
No One Home by Tim Weaver
Why and What do you think?:
I have always enjoyed crime fiction, so I decided to give this one a read… No One Home is written by Tim Weaver and explores an unexplained mystery in the Yorkshire Dales, where nine villagers go missing one Halloween, evening. David Raker (a missing persons investigator and also the protagonist) is on a quest to solve the enigma several years later with the help of his dear friend Colm Healy, but appears to have made enemies in the police department throughout his life. The narrative crosses paths with two possible murder cases in Los Angeles in 1985, investigated by Joline Kader, the only female working in the Sheriff department where she faces misogyny and personal challenges… (I don’t want to give too much away!).

I was gripped from the beginning as this book has lots of unpredictable twists and turns. I discovered that No One Home is from the David Raker series which means that this is the most recent book and I will now have to read the other ones! Thoroughly recommend this book if you enjoy a chilling, storyline.

Jemma Lidgard with No One Home by Tim Weaver

Name: Ash Armstrong
Course/Role: Library Assistant
Quarantine Read: The Revenant Express by George Mann
Why and What do you think?: A long time to wait after the previous book in this series, The Executioner’s Heart, to discover how things play out, and I am fulfilled.
Amelia Hobbes gets to play a major role in this one alongside Sir Maurice Newbury in their pursuit of the means of saving Veronica Hobbes. A gothic steampunk blending of Murder on the Orient Express, Horror Express, even From Russia With Love, and a bunch of other rollicking adventures set on trains. I’d have liked a little more of St Petersburg, but that’s a minor quibble.

Also included is a very enjoyable Newbury and Hobbes short story, as a welcome bonus.
I really hope we get more Newbury and Hobbes adventures from George Mann.

Ash Armstrong with The Revenant Express by George Mann

Name: Cara Dobbing
Course/Role: Library Assistant
Quarantine Read: The Woman in the Window, A. J. Finn
Why and What do you think?: For those who like fast-paced page turners, that centres on an ever-changing mystery, this book is for you.

The Woman in the Window tells the story of Anna Fox and the difficult situation she finds herself in. She is crippled by agoraphobia, unable to leave the house, and passes her time by drinking heavily and spying on her neighbours. It is her obsession with the new residents who move in across the street which is the focus of the book. Having not left the house for ten months, living alone, separated from her husband and daughter, Anna’s life is the opposite to the Russell family who seem the perfect picture of domesticity. However, one night she is startled by a piercing scream coming from their apartment, and proceeds to witness a horrifying event which haunts the entirety of the tale.

Throughout the book, A. J. Finn lays clues as to where the truth lies. Anna battles to be believed, and she battles with herself: Did she really see what she saw? Was the mix of medication and wine the cause of hallucinations? How can she make people believe her? The inner turmoil and complex mix of what is going on in Anna’s psyche and the event she bore witness to, keeps you guessing as to what is really happening. After each chapter, there is a carefully laid cliffhanger that will make you eager to read on. One aspect which I really enjoyed was the fact that the plot is based in one location, and there are few characters to complicate the storyline. This makes you invest in the matter at hand; uncovering what happened in the Russell’s apartment.

The reasons for Anna’s reclusive lifestyle gradually unfold throughout the book, and reveal several twists and turns which make the reader re-think their interpretation of her. It is interesting, in the current climate, that the book plays out in one place: Anna’s home. Given that we are all confined to our houses, there are parallels that can be drawn. Obviously, this is an exaggerated tale of what can happen when an individual is crippled by trauma, anxiety and the panic that going outside involves, but it does make an intriguing mirror with our lives during lockdown. Anna gets all her groceries, and most importantly, her alcohol, delivered to her doorstep, and has a lodger who helps her with jobs around the house. This psychological thriller is a look at the darker side of living a life indoors and being socially isolated. We are lucky in that our confinement will end, but for Anna, the turmoil of her condition has completely changed her life.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in books that make you get in the character’s heads. One moment you think you know what is happening, then an event occurs to make you rethink your entire understanding of it. In summary, a psychological thriller that’s well worth a read if you want something darker to get your teeth into.

Cara Dobbing with The Woman in the Window, A. J. Finn

Name: Alex Moseley
Course/Role: Head of Curriculum Enhancement, LLI
Quarantine ReadThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Why and What do you think?: The title grabbed me with its mix of mystery and festivity, and I’ve gradually been drawn into the world of the circus as I’ve been reading it. It fits firmly in the magical realism category, but like the best of its neighbours, it becomes difficult to decide what is perception and what is magic – particularly as the chapters move between times and spaces. It seemed entirely natural that the circus opened on my birthday for example. Ideal for quarantine, it conjures up rooms you can visit in your daydreams, and when you wistfully put down the book, there’s a little online game you can play to continue the magic.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Name: Sarah Whittaker
Course/Role: Head of Academic Services
Quarantine ReadThe Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah: The Autobiography
Why and What do you think? An honest, animated and playful but serious autobiography of a unique life. Easy to dip in and out of and a highly recommended read.  I read this on my phone on the public library Libby app.

You can find more out about Libby here.

Sarah reading The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah by Benjamin Zephaniah on the Public Library Libby app

Name: Phil Wintle
Course/Role: Library Advisor
Quarantine Read: A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin
Why and What do you think?: I’m a big fan of Game of Thrones and have been making my way through the A Song of Ice and Fire books; the extra detail makes it worth it, I am a bit of a slow reader so they take me some time to read – but normally by the last third of each book I don’t want to put it down.

Phil with A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin

Name: Vicky Holmes
Course/Role: University Archivist
Quarantine ReadFast Asleep by Dr Michael Mosley
Why and What do you think?: I’ve also got the same author’s ‘Clever Guts’ book and like that the suggestions are based on scientific research and experiments. I’m interested in the effect of diet on your microbiome (the microbes that live in your gut) and thought that while I’m at home and have more time I could try some of the tips and recipes. Strangely enough I have been sleeping very well the last few weeks, before reading this, but hope this will help if that changes!

Vicky with Fast Asleep by Dr Michael Mosley

Name: Caroline
Role: David Wilson Library Assistant
Quarantine Read: The Wizards of Once: Knock Three Times by Cressida Cowell
Why and What do you think?: This is the third book in the current series by Cressida Cowell. It is set 3,000 years ago and features warring Wizard & Warrior tribes and an unexpected appearance of not so extinct deadly Witches.  I’m reading it with my son. Cressida Cowell’s books are not only fun but a joy to read aloud. She really hit her stride during the How to Train Your Dragon books. If you’re looking for books to share with your children then Cressida has a knack of turning any parent into a fun reader (opportunities for silly accents galore, fantastic pictures and a knack of writing so you know exactly the right inflection in each sentence). As a fan of children’s books in general I highly recommend all Cressida Cowell’s books.

The Wizards of Once: Knock Three Times by Cressida Cowell

Name: Andrew Dunn
Role: Academic Librarian
Quarantine ReadExit West by Mohsin Hamid
Why and What do you think?: I was given the book for Christmas and had not got round to reading it till lock-down.  It is an excellent book which deals with the experiences of displaced people.  The main characters have to leave their home city because war is being waged there.  It shows you how desperate people can become, makes you think about migration from their point of view and demonstrate how badly migrants are treated.  Coincidentally there were some similarities with the situation we are living through – confinement at home, shortages of food and other good and so on.  (The conditions in a war-torn city are much worse, of course).  And on the top of everything there is a love story and twists at the end.  I recommend it either during or after the lock-down.

Andrew with Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

Remember, let us know what you are reading and we can share your review! Email us at library@le.ac.uk

Thanks for reading and we look forward to your reviews and recommendations!